Did you know that the U.S. Department of Defense has the best regulated child care program in the country? We heard they are developing a 5-level “daycare sick child warning system” called “DEFCOUGH” based on the “DEFCON” system they developed during the cold war.
It goes something like this:
- DEFCOUGH 5: All quiet on the health front. Your child is eating normally and you try your best to build up their immune system with a balanced diet.
- DEFCOUGH 4: Early warning signs encountered, typically a cough or a runny nose. Take preemptive action such as an extra Vitamin C.
- DEFCOUGH 3: Daycare is no longer an option. Medic! Request a fly-by from a relative, babysitters, or neighbor to care for your child, because they’re too sick for daycare.
- DEFCOUGH 2: Request for fly-by negative. One or both parents need to request time off work to care for your child.
- DEFCOUGH 1: Request(s) for time off negative. Crisis imminent!
OK, DEFCOUGH is a joke, but the crisis scenario is all too real for working parents with children in daycare.