The Early Childhood Program at The Guidance Center focuses primarily on children between three and seven years of age. By targeting this age group we increase the chance that children participating in our program will enter school prepared to learn. A primary goal of the program is to have each child assessed and then referred for appropriate services. The STAR program is intended for children that have not yet entered Kindergarten, so most children referred to the program are between 3 and 5 years old. This age group provides us with the opportunity to identify behavioral concerns and respond before a child is placed in a formal school setting.
What does the Program offer?
There are many opportunities for behavioral healthcare services for young children and their families through the Early Childhood Program including but not limited to:
• Assessments to help parents identify areas of behavioral and temperamental concerns (available at any of The Guidance Center
offices, or at Count Your Kid In Screenings with your local school district).
• One-on-one case management from providers trained to work with young children (offered all domains: community, school, daycare, home etc).
• S.T.A.R. is an early intervention therapeutic program licensed by the State of Kansas. Specialized interventions are provided for
children who have been identified as having or are at risk of developing severe behavioral health issues. This type of intervention is not
normally available through traditional preschools or childcare programs.
• The STAR is available during the school year and in the summer in collaboration with Head Start, and area pre-school facilities.
• Groups that focus on social and coping skills, peer relations, problem-solving skills, emotion regulation, listening and attending skills and much more and is done utilizing positive behavior management techniques.
The Guidance Center Preschool is a licensed child care center in Atchison, KS with the license issued by the Kansas Dept of Health And Environment - Child Care Licensing Program. We are a small center. To learn more about us, please send us an email.